Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Life Wounds

Ok, I originally thought that my most recent post belonged only on my "You know you're an adult when..." blog. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that it belongs here too.

This is me. This is who I am at this moment in time.

So, rather than duplicate it all on this blog, you can find the original posting by clicking here:
You know you're an adult when...
...you get your dream job, and then someone tells you that you've failed completely at it.


Coincidentally, two of my best friends in the world have gone through similar experiences in the past six months. It's like a virus, or the Gen X version of a (pre-mature) mid-life crisis. (Who has a mid-life crisis at the age of 32?!?) I won't say that misery loves company, because I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. But I will say that I take courage from the fact that I'm not alone. They're both surviving, improvising, adapting, and possibly even overcoming, so I have hope that I might too.

One of my friends has a saying, "Life is hard for stupid people." That's a basic truth. Stupid people make bad decisions, which put them in difficult situations, from which they have fewer options and make even worse decisions. I've been hearing her say that for years, and the whole time, I've been smugly relying on a theory implied by the inverse of that truth, which is, "The smarter you are, the easier your life should be." And then, suddenly, the bottom dropped out of the theory, and I have been decimated to find out that being smart isn't enough. Oh, and by the way, working hard, having good intentions, and desiring to be productive and successful aren't enough either.

Life is hard.

Life is certainly not fair.

(Actually, in the grand scheme of things, that might be a good thing. "Fair" isn't all it's cracked up to be.)



...I'm not seeing any upside to the "Life is hard" thing, though...

2 comments:

Keith said...

Kristin,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your job.

Changing careers causes a serious amount of worry and angst, though (see my blog). If you want to go where it takes you, then I definitely recommend it. If you'd rather be where you are (careerwise) I don't think I would.

I really hope things work out for you. I know that empty-sick feeling you were talking about...ugh.

Keith said...

Kristin,

I have been thinking about you lately. Especially since my graduation the other day. Maybe you have already considered this, but have you ever thought about getting a PhD and going into academia? From what I can tell, your main interests are in R&D anyway. Being a professor would allow you to focus on research much more, without all of the business crap... I could totally see you as a professor. Anyway, just a thought..

keith