Tuesday, May 20, 2008

100th Post

According to Blogger, this is my 100th blog post.

That's a pretty big milestone, so I guess I should mark this occasion by writing something significant. I should expound on some important humanitarian topic, or summarize what I've learned about Life, the Universe, and Everything, or maybe talk about how blogging has changed the world.

But instead, I think I'll quote from my very first blog post:
So here I am. Now what?

Because, after all, that quote is as true today as it was 3+ years ago. I still have no idea why I'm writing this blog. It's certainly not to attract mass readership, since I suspect that only 3 people in the world (counting myself) read what I write here.

And that's OK.

What I have discovered along the way is that I write for myself. I use this blog to recognize wonders and celebrate special occasions, to mark moments in time, to mourn losses and vent frustrations, to clarify my own thoughts, and to integrate interesting ideas from other people into my own perspective. Sure, there are times when I want to share these things with other people, but those moments are the exception rather than the rule.

I think that most bloggers, if we're being honest, would have to admit that, at its heart, blogging is a self-centered activity. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.



Dang. I just realized that I really screwed up. I was intending to make fun of the "100th Post" milestone by writing something short and flippant.

Oh, well, maybe next time...

No comments: